2016年12月25日日曜日

“The future is ours,” leader Yamashiro detained for protest against new US base calls for unity 2016/12/24

“I am waiting for the day I will proudly raise my voice in protest together with colleagues. I will do my best here.”

Okinawa anti-base Protest Leader, Mr.Yamashiro, Hiroji




TOPICS:Special Feature: Okinawa holds mass protest rally against US base

“The future is ours,” leader Yamashiro detained for protest against new US base calls for unity

Director of the Okinawa Peace Movement Center HirojiYamashiro

December 24, 2016 Ryukyu Shimpo

Hiroji Yamashiro, the director of the Okinawa Peace Movement Center, who was arrested on October 17, has been prosecuted and is now being detained for his involvement in protests against new U.S. base construction in Henoko, Nago and Helipad construction in the U.S. marines’ Northern Training Area (NTA) in Takae, Higashi. He responded to interview requests made by the Ryukyu Shimpo through a lawyer who has been representing him.
On December 24, the Ryukyu Shimpo sent him questions, and received his response in writing on the same day.
 
Yamashiro emphasized the importance of continuing the movement and not giving in to the central government’s hardline stance on building the new base and the helipads. 

“Now is the time to support Governor Onaga. Let’s join our hands to work for the future of Okinawa. The future is ours,” he states in his response.

“I feel unexplained anger,” He says. He denounced the Osprey crash and called for the unity of Okinawan people, “Let’s unite and exercise the power of the prefecture’s people to stop this reckless chain of fear.”

Touching on a ceremony held on December 22 for the return of part of the northern training area, Yamashiro expressed his feelings,

“I was so moved emotionally that tears were coming out of my eyes when I heard that Governor Onaga had publicly taken part in the citizens’ protest gathering with a resolute attitude, refusing to attend the ceremony. I remember the strength that I felt.”

He stated, regarding the arrest of many protesting citizens including himself,

“I cannot help but say that it is unforgivable repression.”

He wrote about the future,

“I am waiting for the day I will proudly raise my voice in protest together with colleagues. I will do my best here.”


(English translation by T&CT)




「未来は私たちのもの」 政府批判、結集訴え 新基地抗議で勾留の山城議長

  山城博治議長
 
【ヘリパッド取材班】
 名護市辺野古の新基地建設の現場や米軍北部訓練場のヘリコプター着陸帯(ヘリパッド)での抗議行動に絡んで10月17日に逮捕され、起訴、勾留されている沖縄平和運動センターの山城博治議長(64)に対し、接見をしている弁護士を通じて本紙がインタビューを行った。

22日に質問を文書で渡し、同日書面で回答を得た。山城議長は新基地建設やヘリパッド建設を強行しようとしている日本政府の姿勢に対して、

「今こそ、翁長知事を支え、沖縄の将来を開くために、意を決して力を合わせましょう。未来は、私たちのものです」

と国の強行に屈せず、運動を継続してく重要性を強調した。

オスプレイの墜落については

「言いようのない怒りを感じます」

とした上で

「この無謀を極める恐怖の連鎖を止めるために県民の力を結集していきましょう」

と訴えた。

 ヘリパッド完成に伴い22日に開催された米軍北部訓練場の返還式典については

「翁長(雄志)知事が毅然(きぜん)と出席を拒否し、市民の抗議集会に公然と参加され力強く発言したと聞き、涙が出そうなくらい感動し、力強さを覚えている」とした。

多くの抗議市民が逮捕され、山城議長の勾留が長期に及んでいることについては「許し難い弾圧であると言わざるを得ません」

と指摘した。今後の抗議運動については

「また、肩を組み、抗議の声を高らかに歌い上げる日を待っています。その日まで、ここで頑張ります」とつづった。

英文へ→“The future is ours,” leader Yamashiro detained for protest against new US base calls for unity